Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Laundry and Something for the Birds



These two white metal jewels are one of the blessings that I mentioned in my previous post. Being in the ministry for the past 10 years, we have been supplied with a house and all necessary appliances. Now that we are own our own, we now have to supply our own furniture and appliances. Thankfully we do have a couple of beds and dressers and our rental cottage has a dishwasher and a brand new refrigerator and stove/oven. However, we needed a washer and dryer. I was looking in the ads in the newspapers on Monday and found an ad for a washer and dryer and my sweet husband called about it and we were led to a gentleman who repairs washers and dryers and we were able to buy this pair from him at a great deal and a 90 day warranty. They are both Kenmore, look great and so far are doing a wonderful job washing and drying. What a blessing!! (But I still have plans for a clothes line in the back yard to help save on our electricity bill. More to come on that later.)

The following picture is our new hummingbird feeder. I purchased it with a gift card that I received as an appreciation from the accounting firm that I worked with during tax season. Wasn't that sweet of them? And isn't this the sweetest feeder?
It is glass and I hope that I can keep from dropping it and it will last a long time.


And now for the recipe. This recipe is for making your own hummingbird nectar. (The recipe came with the feeder.) So no more buying the nectar from the store for me; I can make my own.

HOMEMADE NECTAR

1 part sugar (no artificial sweeteners)
4 parts water

Mix sugar and water, boil for 2 minutes, then cool.
Add to your feeder and refrigerate any left overs, for no more than 7-8 days.



I also love that fact that I was able to get a "red" feeder to attract the hummingbirds. But if you have a clear feeder, do you need to add red food coloring to this recipe? The answer is no!! Here is why. Also, I do believe that most feeders you buy have enough red on them to attract the birds; I just like the fact that ours has even more. However, we have not seen a hummingbird yet; possibly they have just not make to our area yet. But we are keeping our eyes open to their arrival!

*Another note
This good point was also included on the tag of the feeder:
Hummingbirds have good memories, especially when it comes to the location of their food - so keep your feeders filled with nectar!!

3 comments:

Kasey said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure that it's a lot cheaper making it yourself than buying it at the store. My kids enjoy watching the birds so I try to have the feeders full.

Anonymous said...

Always happy about good prices.
glad you found one.
I do love the bird feeder. It should bring happiness to lots of hummingbirds. You filled it, they'll come.
My bird feeder is white and last summer we never saw a bird feeding from it. tomorrow that feeder will be painted RED.
Thanks for the 101 on hummingbirds.

Anonymous said...

I love washer and dryers!
What a wonderful summer treat you purchased with your bonus $$$$.

Now you can take pictures of the hummingbirds as they sip nectar.

Your stories about your home are always warm and soulfully content.

Happy Mother's Day!

Love,

Jill xoo